- Accession to the Council of Europe : 2003
- Area: 88,361 km²
- Population: 7.15 million inhabitants (2014)
- Capital: Belgrade (Beograd)
- Official language: Serbian
- Official currency: Dinar (CSD)
- Government type: Parliamentary Republic
- Head of State: Aleksandar Vučić re-elected on 3 April 2022
- Head of Government: Ana Brnabić since 29 June 2017
- International code: +381
- National holiday: February 15
Picture : Golubac fortress © National Tourism Organisation of Serbia
Text: CIA World Factbook
- 1331-1355 : The Golden Age of Serbia under the reign of Dusan the Great, who was crowned the Emperor of Serbia and Greece in 1346, integrating Macedonia and Thessaly into Serbia.
- June 28 1389 : Defeat of the army of Prince Lazare by the Turks in the plain of Kosovo. Serbia begins to lose territory to the Turks.
- End of the 14th century : The Crnojevic dynasty creates an autonomous country in Montenegro, but it was conquered by the Turks in 1496.
- 1521 : The fall of Belgrade, a victory for the Turks. The Serbians were attacked in Pec Patriarchate.
- 1669 : During the Kandiskij wars, Montenegro becomes a Turkish vassal, in exchange for political liberty.
- 1690 : Huge migration of the Serbians to the Austrian Voivodine, fleeing the Turkish violence.
- 1804 : First grand Serbian revolt against the Turks, led by Karageorges (George the Black).
- 1830 : Serbia becomes autonomous, but under the suzerainty of the Sultan in Istanbul.
- 1878 : Serbia and Montenegro become independent as a result of the Berlin Congress.
- June 28 1914 : Assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sophie in Sarajevo by the Serbian Gavrilo Princip. Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia. Beginning of World War I.
- December 1918 : Serbia and Montenegro are integrated into the Kingdom Serbs, Croats, and Slovens.
- 1929 : This kingdom becomes the Kingdom of Yugoslavia under King Alexandre Karađorđević
- March 27 1941 : Following a military coup in Belgrade against the regent Paul. Serbia became a quisling country and Montenegro was occupied by the Italians.
- 1945 : Tito creates the Socialist Federative Republic of Yugoslavia. Serbia and Montenegro become two of the six republics.
- 1989 : Milošević, President of the Serbian Republic, nullifies the autonomy of Voïvodine and Kosovo-Metohija.
- 1991 : Independence of Slovenia, Croatia,and Macedonia.
- April 27, 1992 : The Federal Republic of Yugoslavia is created with Serbia and Montenegro.
- May 1992 : Resolution 757 of the United Nations proclaims an embargo against Yugoslavia.
- March-April 1999 : NATO-led bombardments of Yugoslavia.
- Febrary 4 2003 : Confederal Union between the Republic of Serbia and Montenegro.
- 2009 : On December 22, Serbia files its demand to join the EU.
- March 2011: The European Council confirms Serbia as a candidate country.
Sources of texts:
National Tourism Organisation of Serbia